Are you interested in marketing technology and how that’s changing marketing strategy, management, and culture?
Then you’ve come to the right blog.
Hi, I’m Scott Brinker. I’m the editor of this blog, which I started in 2008 with this core premise:
Marketing has become a technology-powered discipline, and therefore marketing organizations must infuse technical capabilities into their DNA.
I write about a number of different aspects of this transformation, including:
- how marketing is changing as a result of technology — for an in-depth discussion of this, read my presentation on 5 marketing meta-trends (or peek at the infographic version)
- hybrid marketing-technology professionals — one of my classic posts on that is Rise of the Marketing Technologist
- new management approaches in marketing such as agile marketing
- the marketing technology landscape, the evolving structure of the industry, and why marketing software will never be like ERP
- the expanding role of data in marketing, such as how big data will lead to big testing and how data can be a marketing channel itself
- interviews with marketing leaders, such as this interview with John Kennedy, VP of Corporate Marketing at IBM
In addition to this blog, I serve as the VP platform ecosystem at HubSpot, helping the company create more synergy with the rest of the marketing technology landscape. Previously, I was the co-founder and CTO of ion interactive, a software company that providers marketers with a platform for creating and testing interactive content, such as quizzes, assessments, solution finders, calculators, and more.
I’ve been an entrepreneur at the intersection of marketing and technology for some time. Before our current software venture, I helped run a successful web development agency, which among other things built most of the web marketing infrastructure for Citrix. Previously I ran a web technology consultancy that built early web apps for CBS Sportsline, Tribune, the Miami Dolphins, and Fujitsu. And I started my career as a teenager, developing BBS software and dial-up multi-player games before the birth of the web.
I graduated from Columbia University with a BS in computer science. I went on to get an MBA from MIT and an master’s degree in computer science from Harvard University.
If you find we share a common interest, I’d be delighted to connect with you on LinkedIn:
Or, send me an email directly at “sbrinker” at “chiefmartec.com”.
My Favorite Posts from Over the Years
- Marketing technology landscape (2016)
- What will happen with marketing technology in 2015?
- What if 1,000+ marketing technology vendors were the new normal?
- Strategy, marketing, and technology are all intertwined
- The Marketing Technologist: Neo of the Marketing Matrix
- 14 rules for data-driven marketing
- Agile marketing for a world of change
- The big data bubble in marketing
- 10 key principles of agile marketing
- Everything is marketing, everyone must be agile
- Mktg tech: suite, platform, portfolio
- Engineers are becoming marketers
- Marketing software will never be ERP
- Marketers should learn to program
- 7 laws of technology for marketers
- 5 strategies for business, life, and really hard math problems
- 8 things every marketing technologist should know
- Marketers are the software they use
- Data as a new marketing channel
- Rise of the marketing technologist
Want to Book Scott for a Speaking Event?
If you’re interested in learning more about my speaking services and topics, check out my speaking page for videos from past speaking events.