With Valentine’s Day on the horizon, I thought I’d wax a little poetic with my top 10 reasons why the semantic web is a lot like love:
10. It means different things to different people.
9. Those in it can bore everyone else to death talking about it.
8. Cynics insist there’s no such thing.
7. It’s straightforward in theory, messy in practice.
6. A few misinterpreted words can really screw things up.
5. You can invest a lot and not get any return.
4. Some people claim it, but don’t really have it.
3. Some people have it, but don’t want to disclose it.
2. The more people involved, the more complicated it gets.
1. When it works, beautiful relationships are established.
On a more serious note, I’ve been invited to give a talk on semantic marketing and moderate a roundtable on semantic advertising at the 2009 Semantic Technology Conference, June 14-18 in San Jose. I look forward to sharing the love.